In November, 1922 a meeting was held at the Port Monmouth School to incorporate the Port Monmouth Fire Co. No.1.Marcus Moller was elected President by acclamation and one ballot cast by the acting secretary, Louis Jensen. Thc Charter was signed by the following men: M. Moller, L. Jensen, H. DeGrote, Walter DeGrote, John Dowens, Charles Rutt, Sr., C. Meyers, Ben Mills, Arthur Aker and Jim Hepburn.
Various fund raising drives were undertaken and from the results of these the first fire truck was purchased at a cost of $2,500 and housed in a frame garage built by the men on a site purchased for $300.00 from the Cowalton Realty Company. The Ford truck was delivered July, 1923.
In 1926, it was decided a larger truck was needed and a Buffalo 500 gpm pumper was purchased and housed in Walter Walling's barn until an addition to the firehouse was completed.
The next event of note was the purchase of property, for site for a new firehouse. The lots on which the present firehouse stands were purchased from William Coe, in 1928. The firehouse was started in the fall of 1932, the total cost was $11,900.In the spring of 1933, the new firehouse was completed and occupied.
Subsequently in 1958 the company purchased an American laFrance Pumper(750 gallon pumper). This truck had been the heart of fire fighting operation from 1958 until 1988 when it was retired form active service. The truck was competely refurbished in late 1973.
On December 18, 1960 Port Monmouth Fire Company suffered a tragic loss. In the early morning hours a fire started in the upstairs hall. Before the fire was discovered and could be brought under control, damages of approximately $30,000 had been sustained. The building was renovated in 1961 at a cost of $50,000.00.
In 1965 construction was started for a new air conditioned addition which was used as an entertainment and bingo hall. Mid February of 1967 the Company held its first $1,000.00 Bingo in the new hall and the Colonial Room became the center of fund raising operations.
With two of the three trucks in excess of 25 years of age and the firematic demands increasing significantly, a truck committee was formed in 1970 for the purpose of selecting an optimum vehicle to meet fire fighting needs for the next decade.
The selection was a 1,000 gpm pumper, with a 500 gpm deluge set, 2000 foot hose bed, high pressure booster unit and self- contained electrical generator system for exhaust fan and emergency lighting system. Seagrave Corporation was awarded the contract at a cost of $47,000 and the truck was delivered seventeen months later in March of 1973. This was the companys new Engine 164.
During the fall of 1980 the company added a 500 gpm mini-attack pumper manufactured by Pierce on a Dodge chassis (unit 160). This vehicle was extensively used primarily in support of our two Class A pumpers as well as for vehicle and brush fires. This unit remains in service today and is used mainly for brush fires.
The company now had five fire apparatus in active service and they were running out of room in the engine bay. It was during this time that a group of members took the initiative to expand the truck roon so that all of the vehicles could be housed under one roof. Literally hundresd of man hours were put into this efforrt and in late 1980 th project was complete.
During late 1988 a truck committee was formed for the purpose of deciding the feasibility of accuiring a new class A pumper to replace out aging American la France pumper. After several months of deliberations this committee presented there recommendations to the company for the purchase of a 1988 Hahn 1500 GPM pumper with a seven man enclosed cab. This new apparatus was to be designated as Engine 161 and it was expected that this unit would now lead the company into the 1990's, well equipped to handle the needs of the community. During the fall of 1988 the new engine was delivered, and it was at this time that the company decided to "sell" the old LaFrance to the Middletown Fire Academy for $1.00 in order to keep this distinguished piece of fire apparatus in service training the volunters of the future.